Hi, How Can We Help You?

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

This is highly dependent on the type of application you will submit, as well as the number of family members you will bring with you. There are three components to the cost: The legal fees, the fees charged by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and disbursements. Disbursements are fees charged by third parties for things like couriers, translations, medical exams, language tests, education credential assessments, and police clearances. While the exact amount of disbursements is difficult to predict, we offer flat fees for immigration services and the IRCC fees are set. Before we begin your application, we will have you sign a retainer letter which sets out the amount of legal fees that we will charge, and we will be able to tell you how much IRCC will charge to process the applications.

Express Entry is an application management system that Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) uses to manage certain applications for permanent residence. First, an applicant must meet the program requirements for either the Federal Skilled Worker Class, the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Trades Class, or the Provincial Nominee Class. Once an applicant meets the requirements for one of those programs, they can register in the Express Entry pool. They will receive a score in the Express Entry comprehensive ranking system on registration. Every few weeks, IRCC skims the top of the pool and sends invitations to apply for permanent residence to the people with the highest scores. On receipt of an invitation, an application typically has 60 days to submit a complete electronic application for permanent residence. IRCC has committed to processing most applications received through Express Entry within six months.

When submitting an application through Express Entry, it is essential that you prove that you meet the requirements of the program through which you were invited. You can confirm your program by looking at the invitation to apply for permanent residence that you received from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You must also prove that you are entitled to enough points in the Express Entry comprehensive ranking system. It is okay if your final number of points is lower than the number you received on registration, as long as you still have more points than the lowest number to receive an invitation during your round of invitations. You must also ensure that you follow all instructions precisely when providing information and documents to IRCC.

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you may sponsor certain family members for permanent residence, including a spouse, a common-law partner, a child under age 22, or a child aged 22 or older who is dependent on you due to mental or physical disability. You may also sponsor your parents or grandparents, although that program is very popular and there is generally more demand than spaces available. Our immigration laws generally do not provide for sponsorship of other family members, such as siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces or nephews. All sponsors must also meet the sponsorship requirements.

Our immigration laws provide for what we call the lonely Canadian rule. This allows a sponsor to sponsor a family member of their choice if they do not have a spouse, common-law partner, children, parents or grandparents who have status in Canada or who could be sponsored.

In order to be considered admissible to Canada, your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children must also be admissible, even if they are not coming to Canada with you. This means that all of these family members will need to undergo a medical exam and any family member 18 years of age or older will need to provide police clearances.

This is a somewhat common situation and unfortunately our immigration laws do not provide for an easy solution. You may request that the child be exempted from the examination requirement. However, the officer processing your application is not required to approve your request, so it is very important that the situation be handled carefully. If the child is exempted from examination, you will not be able to sponsor them for permanent residence at a later time.

When you entered Canada, the officer you allowed you entry may have stamped your passport with a date by which you must leave or may have printed a document called a visitor record, which will have a date by which you must leave. If the officer did neither of these things, you may remain in Canada for up to six months.

In most cases, you may apply to extend your stay from within Canada. However, if you have received a removal order or received a refusal of your application that has ended your status in Canada and you are not eligible for restoration, then you must leave Canada.

Many people who are in Canada temporarily wish to extend their status but have not received a decision on their extension request before their current status expires. This is where implied status comes in. As long as you have applied to extend your status before your current status expires, you may remain in Canada on the conditions of your previous status until you receive a decision on the application to extend. However, if you were a worker or a student and you leave Canada during implied status, you will re-enter as a visitor and will not be authorized to resume your work or studies until your extension application is approved.

Talk to us about how we can help you with your immigration needs.