Hi, How Can We Help You?

Other Immigration Services

Other Immigration Services

Including applications for citizenship, citizenship certificates, permanent residence cards, permanent resident travel documents, rehabilitation, and applications to renounce permanent resident status or citizenship.

Frequently Asked Questions

Your child is likely a Canadian citizen already, as the child would have gained citizenship at birth by virtue of being born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent. You should apply for a citizenship certificate on behalf of your child, which will act as proof of your child’s Canadian citizenship.

To meet the residency requirement for citizenship, you need to have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days (three years) out of the five years preceding the day on which you sign the application. You can count some time that you were in Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, worker, or student) towards this requirement. Temporary resident days count as half days for citizenship calculation up to a maximum of one year. For example, if you were in Canada as a worker for three years before becoming a permanent resident, you may count one year of time towards citizenship (because you have a year and a half worth of half days and the maximum is one year). The rest of the days must have been spent in Canada as a permanent resident. If you or your spouse (or common-law partner) are employed outside Canada in the military or a government position, you may be able to count those days towards citizenship as well.

No. Your permanent resident does not confer the status but is simply proof of your status. While the card expires every five years, the status does not exipire. The status may, however, be taken from you if you do not meet the permanent residence obligations and you apply for a permanent resident card from outside Canada, or if you are referred to the Immigration Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board for an admissibility hearing.